A growing body of research identifies the benefits of K-8 schools, especially for middle school students when compared to the traditional middle school model of grades 6-8. Research shows that adolescent students (ages 12-14) who attend K-8 schools perform at higher levels than their traditional middle school peers, with both the academic and social/emotional needs of students better met at K-8 schools. Research shows that students who attend K-8 schools:
- Experience higher levels of self esteem
- Feel safer, with less discipline and behavior problems threatening their education
- Have a positive attitude toward school
- Have higher levels of academic achievement
- Attend schools with more diverse student and teacher populations and smaller grade sizes
- Experience more core instructional time, allowing for greater exploration and integration, rather than a focus on strictly content, departmentalization, and adherence to a rigid schedule
- Have significantly higher scores in reading, language arts, and mathematics
- Do not experience loss of achievement because of disruptive transitions
- Experience better outcomes in 9th grade
Students enrolling in Kindergarten experience a continuing commitment for nine years. Graduates are equipped with excellent character and leadership, critical and creative thinking skills, a strong academic foundation for high school, and develop a life-long connection and bond with Villa Maria Academy.
Villa Maria Academy graduates are sought after by secondary schools because of the strength of their academic preparation and the strength of their character.
Villa Maria Academy eighth-grade students are community leaders. Younger children view them as role models; their teachers hold high expectations for them, and they respond accordingly. The comprehensive level of responsibility and leadership vested in our students gives them a taste of real leadership and allows them to develop the self-confidence that will prepare them for success in high school.
Families enroll siblings ensuring a continuity of a genuinely close-knit sense of community from K-8.
The Villa Maria Academy legacy lasts a lifetime. Students experiencing a Villa education throughout Kindergarten, elementary and middle school develop timeless values, friendships, a strong academic foundation, and zeal and curiosity for learning that will benefit them throughout their lives.