Who were your closest friends at Villa? I came to Villa in 6th grade and graduated…
Choosing a school for your child is a difficult decision which requires a lot of research and questions. Every parent wants the best for their child, especially during their early, more formative years. With the school year quickly approaching, finding the perfect home away from home for your child will be one of the most important decisions you make.
When touring schools, it is important to know the right questions to ask. These ten questions will help to ensure your family has all the information you need to choose a school that’s values and educational goals match the values and educational goals of your family.
- Curriculum – “Do you follow an accredited organization’s standards?”
Ask what their curricular approach is, and whether it is more student or teacher-centered. You want to support your child’s learning style and needs.
- Health and Safety – “What processes and procedures do you have in place to ensure a safe environment and to reduce illness?”
It is important for parents to first learn and understand from school leadership what is happening at their child’s school
regarding school health and safety.
- Parent Communication – “How and when will I receive parent communication about my child and what is going on at the school?”
Effective communication builds understanding and trust. And when schools and parents understand and trust each other, you’ll all be better able to work together to support children’s well-being and development.
- Professional and Friendly Environment – “What criteria do you look for when hiring staff?”
Take this opportunity to learn more about the classroom environments. Do teachers seem enthusiastic and knowledgeable, asking questions that stimulate students and keep them engaged?
- Philosophy and Mission – “What is your school’s philosophy and vision and how is it applied in the classroom and school community?”
You want to make sure it is consistent with your own educational beliefs and values.
- Class Sizes – “What are your class sizes and student-to-teacher ratios?”
A major perk of many private schools is their smaller class sizes and lower student-teacher ratios. This can often lead to more personalized attention, differentiated instruction and student engagement.
- Student Life – What is student life like?”
Ask questions about what school is like for students – socially, emotionally and intellectually.
- Parent Involvement – “How can parents get involved in school life?”
Since children learn best when their parents are involved in their education, it’s crucial to find out how a school welcomes you into their community.
- Academic Progress – “How do you measure individual achievement and progress?”
Since it is crucial to know how your child is doing, this is something you will want to keep an eye on.
- Technology – “How do you integrate technology into the classroom and curriculum?”
Many schools tend to talk about the technology they have, but it;s more important to find out how technology is used by students and teachers to enhance the learning process.
Finding the best “fit” for your child and your family is the ultimate goal of our admissions process at Villa Maria Academy Lower School. Our objective is to ensure that all of our students are best placed for success and to provide them with a learning environment where they will develop and grow to be their best selves.
Our Admissions team would love to interact with you for a personalized meeting to learn more about your family and for you to ask any questions you might have about life at Villa. Contact our Admissions Office today to schedule your personalized visit to Villa Maria Academy Lower School to journey down the halls and experience the Villa difference at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (610) 644-4864 ext.100.